It’s January, which means many of us are trying to make healthier choices and shave off a few pounds after all the Christmas feasting. The challenge for me is that I received the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas and I want to try all the recipes! So I ate extra veggies this week so I could enjoy Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream on Saturday.
I have learned that making my own ice cream is well worth it, but it does require some planning ahead. Make sure you freeze the bowl attachment at least twelve hours before you plan on making ice cream. (Or find a spot in the freezer and have it ready all the time).
First, whisk 2 cups heavy whipping cream (or half and half) with 1 cup of milk in a bowl with a spout. Next add ⅔ cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Whisk everything together and then cover and chill for several hours.
When you are ready to make your homemade cookies and cream ice cream, follow the instructions for your specific ice cream maker. For mine, I lock in the bowl and properly attach the mixing attachment. Start the mixer on a slow speed and carefully pour in your chilled cream mixture. Set a timer and check after 20-25 minutes. It is so fun seeing the milk become ice cream.
While you are waiting place half a pack of Oreos in a large Ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin (or meat tenderizer) to crush up all the Oreos. Once your ice cream has thickened, carefully sprinkle in your crushed cookies until mixed. This will only take a minute or two.
The next step is very important… get a spoon and take a small bite and enjoy your patience and handiwork. The consistency is more like soft serve at this point, so I poured the ice cream into a container with a tight lid and froze it for a few hours.
Enjoy your ice cream with friends and top with whipped cream and sprinkle some crushed cookie on top for garnish! YUM! We enjoyed this particular batch while playing Settlers of Catan with our husbands.
The fun part is you can adapt this recipe and create your favorite flavor. What is your favorite type of ice cream?
Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ a package of Oreos, crushed
- Freeze bowl attachment at least 12 hours prior to making
- Whisk together heavy cream, milk, sugar and vanilla extract
- Cover mixture and chill for several hours
- Set up your ice cream maker as instructed in manual
- Start mixer on slow speed
- Slowly pour in chilled cream mixture
- Let the cream mix for 20-25 minutes
- While waiting place Oreos in large Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin
- Once mixture has thickened, slowly pour in crushed cookies and let it mix for a minute or two
- Freeze mixture until it hardens (or enjoy as a soft serve consistency)!
- Remove from freezer and garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with extra crushed cookie. Enjoy!
Love ice cream as much as we do? Download this free “There ALWAYS room for ice cream” print by subscribing to our email list below.